National Treasure Black Gum high top sneakers are replicas of the original basketball shoe invented in 1892 by the original Colchester Rubber Co. In 2004, a vintage pair was found at an estate sale in Vista, CA. The 5″ high-top design, canvas uppers, turkey feather sole pattern, in addition to the Colchester Rubber Co. crest, are all revived on these updated classics.
Located a mere 50 miles from the YMCA where Dr. James Naismith developed the initial 13 rules of basketball, was the Colchester Rubber Co. factory. It was one of the largest vulcanized rubber shoe manufacturers at the time. They produced high-top basketball footwear that predated their competitors by a quarter of a century.
Made from vulcanized rubber and canvas, the original sneakers were the first of their kind that protected feet while running, jumping, and pivoting on gym floors. Updated for casual wear, the National Treasure Black Gum features a built-in arch, cushioned insole, metal eyelets, and black canvas uppers. Most recently, these high-tops were outfitted with thicker canvas and reinforced to make them even more durable.
- Black Canvas with black stitching
- Black coated metal eyelets
- Natural Gum outsole
- Original 1892 Turkey Feather Design Rubber Sole and Colchester Logo
- Comes with black, natural, and tan laces
- This style has not been changed the past 128 Years
- Limited availability
- 2020 Restock, Sizes M8-12: Upgraded with thicker canvas and extra reinforced for durability! Texture and hue may vary slightly
- Sizing: These run true to size and are similar in size to other popular vintage basketball sneakers. For half sizing, please size up.